A time-tested third-generation recipe, these warm, soft and crunchy English toffee bars are a quick delectable dessert. Package them up for a homemade gift — if they make it out of your kitchen — or invite a couple friends over to enjoy with you and your family. They are sure to brighten those family thanksgivings.
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Beat butter for 30 seconds with electric mixer; add brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
2. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Beat well.
3. Gradually add flour to mixture, beating constantly.
4. Use clean hands and press evenly in ungreased 15x10x1 baking pan. Bake at 350º for 15-18 minutes.
5. While warm, sprinkle with chocolate chips, and spread using spatula until melted and evenly distributed.
6. Sprinkle with chopped nuts (optional).
7. Cut into rectangular bars before cooled.