First, you need to register on an online application. That can be found on California’s Secretary of State website (http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm). Once you do that, you will receive a printed
registration form in the mail about seven to 14 days later to submit to your county election official.
You must verify your identity before y
our application is complete.
You will receive a voting card in the mail. Once you get that you need to verify that all your information is correct.
To register to vote in California you must meet all registration criteria:
1. You must be a United States citizen and a resident of California.
2. You must be 18 or older on election day.
Voting by mail
You can vote by mail in two different ways:
1. Download a vote by mail ballot application on the California website.
2. Complete a vote by mail ballot application that comes with the sample ballot booklet.
Your request to vote by mail must be submitted at least seven days before elections which are on Tuesday, Nov. 6.
3. Bring the ballot to a poll office before the polls close at 8 p.m. The best way to find local polling places is to contact your county elections office.
The San Mateo county elections office is located at 40 Tower Road in San Mateo.
The phone number is 650 312-5222 and the fax number is 650 312-5348. Its email is [email protected]
Voting in Person
1. Find your local poll center.
2. A poll worker will give you a ballot. Follow the instructions in the next available voting booth.
3. Fill in the box next to the candidate you are voting for.
4. Take the ballot to the ballot box and deposit it.